Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Small Bits of News You Didn’t Know you Needed

Headache was broken neck
A man was sent home from hospital and told to take some Panadol was later found to have a broken neck.
Sydney man Paul Curtis, 31, returned to the hospital after two days in agony and it was found he had a chip out of his spine that could have severed his spinal cord.
Mr Curtis was sent home when he went to Ryde Hospital on May 29 after accidentally knocking heads with a friend at a youth group activity.
He spent two days in agony before returning to the same hospital complaining of continued head pain.
Mr Curtis, from Carlingford, said he was astonished to discover he had a chip out of his spine that could have severed his spinal cord.
Mr Curtis said he was told he couldn't have an X-ray the first time at the hospital because its radiology unit was shut for the night. He says he doesn't blame hospital staff, but wants better government funding to ensure it doesn't happen again.
Girl with 56 stars tattooed on face admits she asked for them
A teenage girl who claimed 56 stars were tattooed on her on her face as she slept when she asked for three has admitted she was awake the whole time – and lied because her father was "furious".
Kimberley Vlaminck had insisted she dozed off after asking the tattooist for just three small stars – then woke in horror to find her face was covered.
The Belgian blamed the Flemish-speaking tattooist for not being able to understand her French and English instructions.
Amid a frenzy of media attention, she then pledged to sue the tattoo artist, Rouslan Toumaniantz, for the £9,000 she needed for laser surgery to have them removed.
She said after the tattooing last week: "It is terrible for me. I cannot go out on to the street. I look like a freak."
But the 18-year-old has finally confessed she did not fall asleep, that she wanted all the stars and was "fully aware" of what Mr Toumaniantz was doing.
Ms Vlaminck told a Dutch TV crew: "I asked for 56 stars and initially adored them. But when my father saw them, he was furious. So I said I fell asleep and the that the tattooist mad made a mistake."
Baby’s sperm cells frozen for future fatherhood
Doctors have frozen sperm stem cells from a three-month-old baby so that he can father children when he is older.
The infant is undergoing cancer treatment that is likely to leave him infertile. His parents hope that once he reaches adulthood, doctors will transplant the stem cells back to allow him to produce sperm.
The breakthrough in America could give the infant the chance to have a family, but raises ethical questions because a baby is unable to give consent to such a procedure.


Falling Off A Skateboard Head First


Man "totally engulfed in fire" after mishap

31-year-old Whitman native suffered life-threatening burns after pouring gasoline on a backyard fire pit in Abington Saturday night, causing an explosion, according to fire officials.
After the explosion, the victim was seen totally engulfed in fire and running across the yard, said Abington Fire Chief Arthur Pelland.
The victim suffered second- and third-degree burns over an estimated 75 to 80 percent of his body, said Pelland, who described the injuries as life-threatening.

These pictures bring a new meaning to doing a dump run

David Jones said he was dumbfounded and had to get his camera out to take photos when he noticed the Holden Commodore towing a trash bin as it overtook his vehicle on the Stuart Highway, south of Katherine on Wednesday.
"We thought it was hilarious," he said.
"It was an 80kmh zone and she just flew past us.
But then the bin started to wobble and lost a tire.

"It was dragging along for ages and left marks all over the road.
There were bits of rubbish flying everywhere.
"She then obviously realized something was wrong and pulled over."
Mr Jones, 32, a former Territorian who moved to Sydney last year, was on a road trip with friends to Darwin when they saw the trash bin fiasco.
"Who knows what she was doing, maybe it was a prank," he said.
"We had only passed a rubbish dump sign moments earlier."
He said it is definitely one of those unique things that would only be seen in the Territory.

Showing Off the FAKE BOOBS


FREE Willy

Clarence Football Club bans penis flasher Tim Orchard
A soccer player who flashed his penis for several seconds on television has been suspended indefinitely from playing for his Australian Rules club.
Clarence Football Club player Tim Orchard deliberately exposed his penis in the background of a post-match dressing room interview shown on ABC television at the weekend.
Orchard has since apologized for the display, beamed live into homes around the state.
He was wearing his club jacket and trousers at the time.
Orchard was called to account for himself at a special disciplinary hearing at the Hobart club on Monday before his penalty was decided by the club's board.
"Tim Orchard (will) be suspended indefinitely and not play in any home and away or finals game in the 2009 football season," club president Richard Mulligan said.