Thursday, June 5, 2008

Small Bits of News

Boy, 10, dies hours after swallowing swimming pool water
A 10-year-old South Carolina boy died last weekend several hours after he swallowed water in a swimming pool. Goose Creek police say Johnny Jackson swallowed some water while swimming in a pool at his apartment complex around noon on Sunday.
He later complained he was tired and took a nap. When someone checked on him, water was coming out of his nose and he was having trouble breathing. The boy later died at Trident Hospital.
Berkeley County Coroner Glenn Rhoad said the boy's lungs were filled with water and he died of asphyxiation. Rhoad said there was nothing suspicious about the death.
The boy, a fourth-grader called "Jon-Jon" by his family, essentially drowned, medical experts said. Not all drowning deaths happen immediately. Other phenomena, such as secondary drowning, can occur as much as 72 hours later and without any warning signs.
Drink too much water, die.
Not enough? die.
Drown? die.
A little bit of water in the lungs? die.
Man's 'Tumor' Turned Out to Be 25-Year-Old Towel
Surgeons in Japan thought they were removing a tumor from a 49-year-old man who was suffering from abdominal pain in late May.
Instead, they found a 25-year-old surgical towel that had crumpled into what looked like a softball-shaped tumor.
The patient apparently had been carrying the cloth since 1983, when surgeons left it in him after minor ulcer surgery.
He went to Asahi General Hospital in late May after suffering pain. Doctors, at the time, found what they believed to be an 8-centimeter tumor. "The towel was greenish-blue although we are not sure about its original color."
Boy Burned by Invisible Fire
Colo. — Coal dust sparked an invisible fire that heated the soil to 800 degrees and burned the feet of an 8-year-old boy, firefighters said.
Matt Bershinski walked into the fire Monday as he was playing in a park. It melted a plastic clogs to one of his feet and left him with second-degree burns.
There were no smoke or flames, which led firefighters to first suspect an underground mine was burning. Mining experts and geologists ruled that out but found a 2-foot-deep layer of coal dust
Hot weather and sunshine may have ignited the dust, authorities said.
Al Amundson of the state Division of Reclamation, Mining and Safety said coal is constantly oxidizing and can ignite if the heat from oxidization is not carried away by wind.
Officials believe the dust was dumped by workers from a mine that closed in 1957.
Bless me father for I want to have sex
A couple were caught having a sex romp in a cathedral confession box during a 7am mass.
A stunned bishop called police after worshippers heard moans and groans above the organ music.
Cops pulled back a curtain and found two goths in their 30s engaged in a sex act in Cesena, Italy.
A source said: "One of them was kneeling but neither was praying."
The couple, who were booked for indecency, claimed they were atheists and that having sex in a church was no different to anywhere else.
The 700-year-old cathedral will have to be purified to "restore its sanctity", officials said.
Police nab fake doctor
An Atlanta hospital is investigating why it took so long to blow the whistle on an "absolutely adorable" man who spent weeks allegedly posing as a doctor.
Police arrested Eric Perteet, 27, after a security guard found him in the emergency room at Piedmont Hospital dressed from head to toe in surgical clothes.

No comments: