Tuesday, August 14, 2007
Girl overdoses on coffee
Jasmine Willis, 17, developed a fever and began hyperventilating after drinking seven double espressos while working at her family's sandwich shop.
The student, of Stanley, County Durham, was taken to the University Hospital of North Durham, where doctors confirmed she had overdosed on caffeine.
She has since made a full recovery and is now warning others about the dangers of excessive coffee drinking.
Ms Willis, who had thought the coffees were single measures, said the effects were so severe that she began laughing and crying for no reason while serving customers at the shop.
I was having palpitations, my heart was beating so fast and I thought I was going into shock
She developed a fever and began struggling to breathe after being sent home by her father.
"My nerves were all over the place.
"I was drenched. I was burning up and hyperventilating.
"I was having palpitations, my heart was beating so fast and I thought I was going into shock.
"I did not realize this could happen to you and I only hope other people learn from my mistake."
The teenager, who was allowed home after a few hours of observation, suffered side effects for days afterwards and now says she cannot stand the sight of coffee.