Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The boy who is allergic to food

When Kaleb Bussenschutt’s family sat down for his favorite meal of barbequed chicken on Monday night, he had to watch with envy, munching only on a cup of ice cubes.
Kaleb, 5, who lives with his family in Adelaide, South Australia, suffers from a rare allergy that means he cannot stomach any type of food.
Australian doctors are baffled by the child’s condition, which arose after his mother Melissa tried to wean him off breast milk when he was an infant.
"I tried giving him a little bit of a Vegemite sandwich or a tub of yoghurt, but it gave him constant diarrhea," Mrs Bussenschutt. "I knew something wasn’t right so I took him to hospital and they did a biopsy of his stomach and it showed that it was quite red and inflamed and full of ulcers."
Doctors initially thought Kaleb was milk or soy intolerant, so put him on a series of diets, including one consisting only of organic foods, but nothing seemed to work.
"We’ve tried everything," Mrs Bussenschutt said. "But from about the age of 18 months through to 5 he just increasingly got worse."
Kaleb’s condition became so bad last December that the Bussenschutts admitted him to hospital, where he did not stop vomiting for a week and would wake at 3am screaming in pain.
Doctors concluded that he suffers from multiple food allergies and intolerances and severe malabsorption, which means his body cannot cope with food. They are continuing to conduct tests to determine why he reacts so badly to food.
"All the doctors will tell me is that Kaleb is a very complicated child. No one knows what is wrong with him," Mrs Bussenschutt said.

One of a Kind......

Bike Transport

9600 kilometers = 5 965 miles


Food dye may help cure spinal injuries but........

A food dye similar to the one used in blue M&Ms and liquorice all sorts could offer hope to people with spinal cord injuries, its only drawback being that it would briefly turn them blue.
In a study of rats the dye, known as brilliant blue G (BBG), reduced inflamation in the spinal cord and significantly improved long-term outcomes after injury.
An unforeseen side-effect of the treatment on rats was that their skin turned bright blue, leaving the white animals with bizarre blue noses, ears, paws and tails. The eyes of the albino rats turned from pink to a deep navy.


EAR'S a medical miracle.

Doctors have saved a woman's severed lobe by stitching it into her BOTTOM.
Julia Schwarz's right ear was bitten off by her best pal in a scrap over a lover.
But when medics tried to reattach it, they found they couldn't because of the injuries she sustained to the side of her head.
Surgeons in Cologne, Germany, said the damage had to be repaired before they could try again.
So they made a small incision in her BACKSIDE and stitched the severed lobe inside — where it will be kept for safekeeping until they are ready for a further op.
Now doctors are confident the ear will not be rejected by 27-year-old Julia's body.
Her solicitor Reinhard Birkenstock said: "My client has suffered enormous emotional distress.
"She was afraid to leave the house because of the disfigurement."

TASER X3 Demo on 3 TASER Employees

Three TASER employee volunteers were exposed to the new TASER X3 as the rest of the company watched on Friday, 10 July 2009 at TASER International Headquarters. The X3 was fired sequentially at the 3 volunteers with no reloading, no delay, and instant neuromuscular incapacitation (NMI). Employees then shared some insights about their experiences and went back to work.
The new Taser, which will be available to police and other agencies in late August, costs $1,800, compared with $800 for the older model. The manufacturers will offer a trade-in worth $300-$800 for the old version.