Sunday, February 22, 2009

Small Bits of News You Didn’t Know you Needed

Man Dead For 20 Years Billed For Phone Sex
A Bellevue, Neb., woman said she was billed for more than $1,000 in phone sex calls that she never made.
Arlene Hald, 86, said she was surprised to receive a bill addressed to her husband, Sylvester, who has been dead for nearly 20 years.
Sylvester Hald never had a credit card, yet an account in his name was charged for phone sex services.
"We knew this was wrong," said Arlene Hald's daughter, Peggy Rytych.
Rytych said she suspected her late father was the victim of identity theft and called Preferred Platinum Plan, the billing company. It agreed to forgive the charges.
"So we thought, 'OK, that's the end of it,'" Rytych said. "Then last week, she got a new bill from them in my dad's name and the same address for another $71.49."
A company representative agreed to remove the latest charge and promised never to bill her again.
Hald and her daughter said they hope the matter is put to rest once and for all.
Dentist fined for forcibly removal of woman’s teeth
A German court Friday found a dentist guilty of assault for forcibly extracting the dentures from a patient who did not pay a 700-euro (623-pound) bill.
The dentist apologized to the municipal court in Neu-Ulm after he was fined 6,000 euros for going to the woman's home and taking the false teeth from her mouth.
"His lawyer read a statement expressing remorse and he apologized, saying he just blew a fuse because he was under a lot of professional and personal stress," Kolb told Reuters. He was trying to collect 700 euros not covered by her insurance.
The woman appeared in court with no teeth and said she did not want to wear dentures again because of the distress the incident had caused.

11-Year-Old Boy Kills Future Stepmother, Brother
Body of Kenzie Houk Found by 4-year-old Daughter
Police in Wampum, Pennsylvania, are charging another child with killing an adult just days after the Arizona case of an 9-year-old child who killed two adults was settled. An 11-year-old boy whose name has not been released was charged not only with the homicide of his father's Kenzie Houk, 26, but also the 8-month-old baby she was carrying. Police and relatives, say that the boy was jealous of the unborn child, also a boy, which was due in two weeks. Police say the 11-year-old boy shot the woman who was soon to be his stepmother at around 8 a.m. Friday morning, then boarded his school bus and went to school as if nothing had happened. The body was discovered by Kenzie Houk's 4-year-old daughter later that morning.
Dog with a phobia of men left stranded
A dog with a phobia of men was stranded for two nights at the foot of an 80ft cliff after refusing help from male rescuers - until a female RSPCA officer was called in to winch him to safety.
Hope was fading that Collie-Huskie cross 'Fox' would be pulled out alive after he growled, barked and backed away from a string of male coastguards who were unsuccessfully winched down to try and save him.
Until, that was, his owner revealed where they were going wrong.
Jane Ravine, 58, said Fox had a hatred of men, so a female RSPCA officer was scrambled to try her luck.
And having touched down in the cove, Fox gleefully jumped into her arms and was safely returned home, shaken but unharmed.


No comments: