Sunday, March 8, 2009

Small Bits of News You Didn’t Know you Needed

Woman Embezzled $10M, Bought 400 Pairs of Shoes
A former bookkeeper embezzled $9.9 million, forcing her company to make layoffs as she bought 400 pairs of shoes that she kept in a room-sized closet decorated with a crystal chandelier and a plasma television, authorities claim.
Annette Yeomans, 51, surrendered at the Vista jail on Friday and was booked for investigation of grand theft and embezzlement. She was being held Saturday at the San Diego County jail in lieu of $10 million bail.
It was not immediately clear whether she had an attorney.
Authorities said that Yeomans embezzled the money from 2001 to 2007 while she was chief financial officer for Quality Woodworks, Inc., a cabinetry business in San Marcos.
She spent at least $240,000 on 400 pairs of shoes, $300,000 on designer clothing and 160 purses valued at $2,000 each, investigators allege. She also remodeled a bedroom into a closet with the chandelier and a 32-inch TV, they said.
"On a weekly basis Yeomans would spend $25,000 on her credit card and then pay off the balance the following Monday with company funds," said Sgt. Mark Varnau of the sheriff's Financial Crimes Unit.
8 Arrested at Party Hosted by 'Girls Gone Wild'
Authorities say a party hosted by "Girls Gone Wild" at a Sanford night club led to eight arrests.
Police say four women were arrested Thursday night for flashing their breasts, and four other customers were arrested after a fight broke out.
A police spokesman says undercover officers were at The Barn with the owner's knowledge.
Bright yellow signs were posted around the bar warning that police officers would be present and that anyone exposing themselves could face arrest.
One of the women arrested said she felt set up because a disc jockey and one of the undercover officers were encouraging women to expose themselves.
Crews pull man from toilet after he tried to retrieve his keys
Filer emergency crews retrieved an unidentified Ada County man from a rest area toilet Thursday afternoon, after he climbed into a waste tank and became stuck.
The man was found just before noon by another driver that stopped at the U.S. Highway 30 rest area west of town, according to Filer Police Chief Cliff Johnson. Filer police responded to a 911 call, along with the Filer Fire Department, Filer Quick Response and a paramedic from St. Luke's Magic Valley Medical Center.
Johnson said the man, who asked police not to be identified, was unable to find his car keys after using the lavatory. Thinking his keys had fallen in the tank, the man removed a round plastic cover at the base of the toilet and climbed in to find them. Once inside he was unable to pull himself out, and waited until someone else arrived.
"He hadn't been there too long, only 10 or 15 minutes," Johnson said.At least 10 emergency response personnel responded to the 911 call, according to Johnson and a dispatch supervisor at Southern Idaho Regional Communication Center.
Eventually the man was retrieved through an access hole used to pump the waste out of the tank."It took some lifting to get him out, and he had cut himself pretty good trying to get himself out," Johnson said.
The man was allowed to wash off with the fire truck hose at the scene, where he made another painful discovery.
"That's when he discovered the keys were still in his back pocket," Johnson said.
Man Rescued from High Voltage Power Line
The Gwinnett County Fire Department rescued a man who got trapped on a high-voltage power line Saturday.
Hanging upside down by his ankle 35 feet in the air, the young man pleaded with firefighters to rescue him as crews worked to free the man from the power line he got tangled in.
"There were reports from family members that he may have been intoxicated. We believe he climbed those lines very quickly. Whether or not he came into direct contact with the lines is yet to be determined," said Capt. Tommy Rutledge of the Gwinnett County Fire Department.
Fire officials said the man scaled the metal scaffolding and was zapped by the powerful electrical field generated by the high-voltage lines.
"The high-voltage lines were still charged at that time. So, the power company had to respond to the scene and do what they could to de-energize those lines just to allow our personnel to get close enough," said Captain Rutledge.
VIDEO and More
Escapee caught sneaking back into jail
Georgia jail guards searching for an escaped inmate did not have to look very far - the fugitive was caught sneaking back into prison.
Guards spotted Harry Jackson, 25, trying to creep back in with 14 packs of cigarettes allegedly stolen from a nearby store.
The alarm had been raised earlier after a jail door was found unlocked.
He had opened a door to the exercise yard and climbed an outer fence to get away, Sheriff Tommy Gregory said.
Jackson now faces new charges of breaking out of prison and burglary.
He was in jail in Woodbine, Camden County, on charges including possession of a controlled substance and violating probation.
Tattoo Jim said...
Oh come one!!! They guy who "lost" his keys needs to give his name so he can be nominated for the Darwin Awards... moron!
And the guy who breaks back into jail... he could be a runner up.

No comments: