Sunday, February 1, 2009

Small Bits of News You Didn’t Know you Needed

Fayette man accused of Waterloo theft
" Why is it that criminals think they are soooo smart? "
Police said a Fayette man took televisions and electronics from Wal-Mart after cutting through a fence.
Police arrested Marcus Masahiro Morishige, 21, on charges of second- and third-degree theft.
He also was charged with second-degree criminal mischief for causing $1,500 worth of damage to a fence and nylon cover.
Officers were called Wednesday to the store on Flammang Drive after employees spotted someone they suspected of shoplifting.
Workers said a man had stashed more than $500 worth of items near a fenced-in area Tuesday.
He then returned and cut a hole in the fence and took the merchandise, according to court records.
The suspect came back Wednesday and stashed more than $1,000 worth of items by the fence in an apparent attempt to repeat the scheme.
Cops are busy -- getting arrested
A bad weekend for the image of law enforcement in Southwest Florida. Three people entrusted to enforce the law have been arrested, it all happened within 35 hours. Two corrections officers and a police officer were arrested.
The first was Friday afternoon, when a Hendry County Corrections Officer was arrested on ten counts of possession of child pornography. Forty-Nine year-old George Easterly's bond has been set at 100-thousand dollars.
The second arrest was early Saturday morning when Fort Myers Police Officer Leon Young was arrested for driving under the influence at a Sheriff's Office Check Point near the intersection of College Parkway and U.S. 41. The arrest report show Young accused the arresting deputy and the deputy's father of both being members of the Ku Klux Klan. Deputies also suspected Young had marijuana on him, but they did not find any when searching Young's car.
The last arrest was early Sunday morning at the O'Brien Auto Park in Fort Myers. Lee County Sheriff's Office Corrections Officer William Edwards was arrested and accused of breaking into the dealership.
Police arrest man driving boom lift at 3 a.m.
Police knew something wasn't quite right after they spotted a man driving a piece of construction lift equipment down a street at 3 a.m. on Thursday. The man, who appparently had been drinking, was in the lift bucket of the Genie Boom with an unopened six-pack of beer and a bag of beef jerky when police pulled the vehicle over. He was clocked at 2 mph.
At first the 29-year old man told police he was just going to the store. But when they asked him why he was in the bucket on the lift, he said he was delivering the $20,000 piece of construction equipment on a dare from a stranger he met on Craigslist, according to a police report.
Cop reaches into sewage tank to rescue dog
A Kalama police officer reached into a tank of sewage to rescue a dog that had jumped inside. The officer, Jeff Skeie, was able to grab the sinking dog by the ear Tuesday and pull it out by the scruff of its neck. He had waste only on the sleeves of his uniform until the dog gave itself a vigorous shake, spraying him head-to-toe with sewage.
The dog was a stray that took off while its pen was being cleaned. It jumped in the sewage treatment plant's digester and was unable to swim in the foamy liquid.
After the rescue, the officer took a long shower and the chocolate Labrador had a bath. It was adopted later in the day by a woman who named it Hershey.
wirecutter said...
About the dog that jumped into the sewage: I think you left the "t" out of sinking.....

77-year-old woman leads police on 4-hour chase
A 77-year-old woman led officers through a wild 4-hour ride around Port Orange when she drove so dangerously through the street that one pedestrian jumped into a lake to avoid being hit.
Veronica Hollifield crashed into two vehicles, leaving the scene of both accidents, then vandalized a church lobby, tearing a painting off the wall and knocking over chairs.
A policeman ran alongside her car, opened the door and grab Hollifield's left arm. But police say she put the car in reverse, revved the engine and rammed into the officer's squad car before roaring off. She slammed into another police cruiser moments later.
She eventually crashed into a tree. It took more than five people to get her onto a stretcher so she could be hospitalized under the state's Baker Act.

No comments: