Friday, July 24, 2009

Good News, Bad News Day.

The good news: Barry Shell won more than $4 million. The bad news: he ended up in jail.
Shell, from Brampton, Ont., picked up a check for $4,377,298, the top prize in the July 18 draw for the Lotto 6/49.
"I went to the store and checked my ticket on the self-serve ticket checker," Shell was quoted as saying in a news release from the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation.
"As soon as I saw how much I had won, I grabbed a pen and signed my ticket."
On Monday afternoon, a smiling Shell was photographed holding up his check at the OLG headquarters on Dundas Street West in Toronto.
Then Shell strolled out of the building and into the hands of Peel Regional Police officers.
He was wanted on a six-year-old warrant for failing to appear, theft under $5,000 and possession of property obtained by crime.
According to a spokesman for the OLG, every lottery winner undergoes a security check, and if anything is turned up during the course of the investigation the matter is turned over to the Ontario Provincial Police.
.

No comments: